Jumat, 02 September 2016

Welcoming the Cy Park Tigers

While the elder Wildcats had a bye week, the freshmen took part in history; they were the first opponents of the Cypress Park Tigers, the newest high school in Cy-Fair ISD.


With the spotlight all to themselves, the Class of 2020 did not disappoint as they swept the Tigers on Thursday. The B-team came out on top by a score of 28-8, and the A-team romped to a 61-8 win. Despite the lopsided scores, there was definitely excitement in the air and the newly-minted Tiger faithful cheered on their team until the end.

For me, it felt like stepping back in time to when Cy Woods began its journey ten years ago. (Now that I think about it, I can't believe that it has been ten years since Cy Woods opened its doors. I'm old, guys.) Getting an opportunity to build a tradition from the ground up is not something that comes often for kids entering high school, and I hope that the first class at Cypress Park High School embraces this opportunity to build a tradition and set the standards that future Tigers will be expected to uphold. Although the results were not what they expected, I hope that being a part of the first game in their high school's history is a moment that they will fondly remember. I also hope that Thursday's results do not dampen the Cy Park fans' enthusiasm for their new team. As the old adage goes... Rome was not built in a day.

Good luck to Cy Park in their inaugural season. We'll look forward to formally welcoming them to the big stage in 2018. 

Now, back to Cy Woods. I do not know all the kids in the freshman class, but one kid who definitely bears watching is Christian Scott. He is the A-team running back and wears #2. I had a chance to get a glimpse of what he brings to the table during the two-day freshman mini-camp earlier in the summer, and he made all of the drills look effortless, and the coaches, particularly Coach Whitmore, raved about his ability. He reminds me of Samuel Stewart when he started at Woods.

Christian looks like he is well on his way towards becoming the next in a lineage of outstanding Cy Woods running backs, and believe me, there have been plenty of fine running backs who have worn the crimson and gold. On Thursday, he made short work of the Cy Park defense, and when he opened the scoring in the A-team game, I have to say that I was momentarily shocked, because it felt like all eleven defenders bounced off of him as he slashed and dashed to the end zone. He would go on to score two more times and added a two-point conversion for the Cats. I will refrain from making any sweeping declarations, but it is probably safe for me to say that Christian Scott is Cy Woods' #1 football prospect for the Class of 2020.


EmoticonEmoticon